Saturday, July 16, 2011

Not Meant to Be?

Yarn feels.  It knows.  This is not just my perception, I've heard other knitters make reference to this phenomenon.  Yarn knows what it wants to become.  Unfortunately it does not always speak clearly.  The knitter must often give the yarn many options before it can announce THAT'S IT! THAT IS WHAT I WANT TO BE!

I sincerely, deep down, felt that this yarn

Paton's Brilliant

wanted to be this top.

Boatneck Pullover w/ Ruffle by Jan Hurwitz

It would be a super cute top for a 'going out without the kids' night.  The yarn has a bit of sparkle and it's red (my fave).  The top is a bit clingy, a bit ruffly, and a bit peek-a-boo-y.  Very fun.  A perfect fit of yarn and pattern.

Alas, it may not be.  I have knit the front, dropped the stitches and even added the ruffly trim.  I have knit the back, stitches un-dropped, ruffle un-added, awaiting it's fate.  I'm just not feeling the love on this one.  I still really want this yarn to be this top.  I want to ignore what I feel the yarn is saying.  I want to convince it that it is wrong.  So...there it sits, in my bag, on idle needles.   


2 comments:

  1. can you put it on waste yarn and try it on?
    that may change your mind.
    or...it may be that the substitution of yarns cannot achieve the same effect if the yarn blend isn't similar.
    Hope that if you try it on, it does what you want it to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, I think it looks like it'll be a fabulous top.
    One of the redeeming aspects of yarn is the ability to repurpose it. (Of course you can't repurpose wasted time. . .)
    I agree with the previous comment. Try it on if you can, it may reassure you that this union WAS meant to be. :)

    ReplyDelete