Saturday, October 15, 2011

I am not an old dog.

I am still learning new things.

I learned that McAfee is pronounced MAC-afee, regardless of how it's spelled.  The local pronunciation is always the correct one.


I learned that magnificent views (when not obscured by clouds) may hide at the end of a hike with a very, VERY humble beginning.  I didn't get a picture, but the McAfee Knob trail head is basically a break in the trees, marked with an Appalachian Trail symbol, across the road from a gravel parking lot. 



I learned what a cairn is.  These little bitty cairns didn't seem to be marking any trail since the AT uses white blazes for that (another thing I learned), but they still looked pretty cool, like a little rock village in the woods.  Yes, I watch too many fantasy movies.


I learned that I am a little more afraid of heights than I thought I was.  I wanted a picture of me hanging my feet over the ledge, like so many hikers before me.  I sat down on the wet rock, scooched forward, a little more, a little more...and then back a bit.  I couldn't do it.  This is as close as I could get. 



Finally, I learned one of the most important lessons.  Even when hiking down on the wide open fire road, keep your head up.  You may walk right into this fella...


A big, giant THANK YOU to gogopance for learnin' me these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment