Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Gizmo

We bought a hamster.  Well, more accurately, my daughter bought a hamster.  I helped her buy the bedding, food and toys.  Dear readers, meet Gizmo.






We already had the cage, water bottle and food dish.  Why would we already have these things, you ask?  We have attempted hamster ownership before.  Twice before.  They both died within a week, most likely of wet tail.

The first hamster was bought from Pet Smart as a birthday present for my daughter a few years ago.  The second was a 'replacement' for the first after it succumbed to its ailment.  The second one didn't last much longer than the first.  I was too heartbroken to ask for another replacement. 

I have nothing bad to say about the staff at my local Pet Smart.  Everyone was nice and helpful and they honored their guarantee.  The pet clinic they partner with, Banfield, was very nice and helpful as well and honored the same guarantee.  Maybe buying healthy, live creatures from a big box store is just not possible.

I know not to buy puppies and kittens from pet stores.  I should have extended that to little critters as well.  After reading some of the causes of wet tail, I don't see how these hamsters could have escaped it.  They are held and shipped in large quantities like any other merchandise and pushed out on the sales floor as stock gets depleted.  When we went to the store for the second hamster, the sales person took us in the back to pick from the hamsters they had just received, I guess assuming they'd be healthier.  They were being held in a large flat plastic bin with air holes, at least 15-30 hamsters scuttling around wild when she raised the lid.

Gizmo was purchased from the only locally owned and operated pet store that I know of in this area.  They had 3 black bear hamsters and 2 golden hamsters.  They were all playful and active but not freaking out when the salesperson picked them up to let my daughter hold them.  I could also see 'nursery' cages of momma hamsters with their babies labeled 'not for sale'.  The hamsters we looked at had all been there for at least two weeks and had daily human contact.  I feel much better about this purchase.  I am cautiously optimistic.


No comments:

Post a Comment