Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Premiere


artwork by Mike Belz

My cousin, gogopance, and her friend, gittar, formed a production company, Mountain House Films, LLC, and made a movie.  I could stop right there and that would be sufficiently awesome.  A MOVIE!  How many 'regular people' (regular people = people I know) have done that!?!  Even cooler, they let me help as a Production Assistant during the week of filming, and I only had to beg her once.  Being able to follow the creation of this movie from idea to final product, even if mostly from the sidelines, has been amazing.

 
The film, 47 Miles: March to Destiny, is a documentary that follows a group of Civil War reenactors as they recreate the final march of the 24th VA Infantry along the forty-seven miles from Sailor's Creek to Appomattox.  The original 24th VA Infantry's flag was captured at Sailor's Creek nearly 150 years ago.  The modern day march hopes to raise money to restore and preserve that very flag.  Let me know if you want a copy of the movie - I can hook ya up...I got connections.









Since this is supposed to be a knitting blog, I'll skip to the part you yarnhoars are interested in.  Every great movie needs a great premiere.  And every great premiere needs a hand knit wrap.

This is Magrathea by Martina Behm in madelinetosh tosh merino light.










I don't really wear shawls or wraps, therefore I've never felt the need to knit one before.  I also don't really dig on knitting lace, so the bit on the edges gave me some trouble before I finally sorted out my ssk's from my k2tog's and got everything leaning the right way. 




There was a panic moment when I ran out of yarn in the middle of the bind-off row.  A week away from the movie premiere and I'm 115 bind-off stitches short.  After putting it away for a day or so and hoping yarn would grow while I worked on other things, I decided to rip and bind off earlier in the pattern.  I don't think anyone noticed, ya know, with all that movie stuff going on.






1 comment:

  1. Good job. I've run out of yarn with about 12 stitches left. Oh the yarn gods, the are fickle.

    ReplyDelete