Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago Today

Ten years ago today I was working for the same bank I am now, in my cozy little office in southwestern Virginia.  That morning I just happened to be near a television and watched, with mounting horror, as the second plane hit the towers.  Up until then, I think we all thought that the first plane was just some unfortunate dumbass who didn't see the big building in his way.  When the second plane hit, everything changed.  It was intentional.  Oh shit.

Ten years ago today my first child, my only daughter, was 7 months old.  Tonight she is asking me why everyone is so sad and what is the big deal about The Twin Towers and 9/11.  I am trying to explain to her what happened and showing her pictures online, of before and after.  I am trying to express to her how terrifying it was. 

I'm not sure she can understand it.  Her world isn't big enough.  She is just beginning to learn how evil people can be.  She can't know how it changed our nation, the effects of the attack has always been a part of her America.  I'm not sure if I want her to understand it.  As a parent, I know she will be faced with hatred and evil and must learn how to handle tragedy, but, dammit, I hope that the worse thing that happens to this country and its people she'll have to read about in a history book.

No comments:

Post a Comment