Thursday, April 14, 2011

Real People

Arguments have been made that computers were going to turn us into a pale, glassy-eyed, antisocial society.  With all the social media sites, we spend entirely too much time in front of the illuminated screen instead of outside dealing with real people.  Twitter has put me in touch with some of the coolest real people I have never met.

When I registered for the 5k, I was mainly looking for a race that wasn't too far away and on a weekend I was available.  The Susan G Komen Race for the Cure fit the bill, and since it was for an excellent cause that was significant to me, I signed up.  If I could help raise some money, then that was a bonus.  One simple shout-out to Twitter got it started.

I soon got a donation from a fellow Twitter-er (waves to @atknitsend).  She then offered to help raise funds for Susan G Komen for the Cure by donating a portion of her sales from her AtKnitsEndYarns etsy shop for the week before the race.  Awesome.  Unbelievable.

With Kim's help (aka @atknitsend) a total of $120.25 was raised on my behalf to help women who can't afford it to get mammograms and treatment and to fund research to find a cure for breast cancer.  Wow.  So much more than I had expected or hoped for.  The entire Roanoke Valley Affiliate Race for the Cure event raised more than $310,000.

A very special thanks to Kim, to all who purchased from AtKnitsEndYarns, to those who donated directly and to those who cheered me on from my Twitter-feed.  I will not forget this.  You all are some of the coolest real people I hope to someday meet.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment